The Danbury Historical Society's exhibit called Quintessential Quilts runs through November 1 and focuses on the amazing collection of handmade quilts in the museum's collection. The exhibition opens with the roots of the craft in the 18th and 19th centuries and moves on to highlight the rising popularity of quilt making as an artistic endeavor in the 20th century.
All the quilts on display were made between the 18th and 19th century by the local citizens of Danbury area and tells a story of the people of this that made them.
One particularly interesting quilt, crafted by sisters Laura and Flora Morgan of Bethel was made from Danbury hat factory scraps and is known as the "crazy quilt". This particular piece is believed to have been made between 1875 and 1910. Laura Morgan was employed by a Danbury hat factory and was allowed to bring home silk lining scraps. Together the sisters added these to a variety of velvets: cut, uncut, and voided. The scraps were pieced together on foundation fabric and made nine blocks embellished with beads, embroidery, and sequins. It is thought that this quilt was a gift from these two unmarried sisters to their helpful cousin.
In conjunction with this quilt exhibition, the Danbury Museum and Historical Society is hosting several movies and lectures on quilting. On August 9 at 2 p.m. the movie, Quiltmakers of Gee's Bend will be shown in Huntington Hall; admission is free and the public is welcome to attend.
On August 16 there will be a quilting fabric swap from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. There is a $10 admission at the door for this fun fabric exchange.
The quilting fun continues in September with a free movie on Art of Quilting beginning at 2 p.m. in Huntington Hall on the campus of the Historical Society.
On October 25, a few days before this exhibition comes to a close, there will be a lecture by Sue Reich, a well known quilt expert. The lecture is free and will begin at 2 p.m. in Huntington Hall. The focus of the lecture will be quilts and quilt makers covering Connecticut.
The Danbury Museum and Historical Society located on 43 Main Street in Danbury is open Wed. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. For addition information visit
For area information www.litchfieldhills.com